hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hbase: GETs are very slow
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2010 16:27:37 GMT
Which version? How much heap was given to HBase?

WRT block caching, I don't see how it could impact uploading in any
way, you should enable it. What was the problem inserting 1B rows
exactly? How were you running the upload?

Are you making sure there's no swap on the machines? That kills java
performance faster than you can say "hbase" ;)

J-D

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Ruben Quintero <rfq_dev@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a hadoop/hbase cluster running on 9 machines (only 8 GB RAM, 1 TB drives), and
have recently noticed that Gets from Hbase have slowed down significantly. I'd say at this
point I'm not getting more than 100/sec when using the Hbase Java API. DFS-wise, there's plenty
of space left (using less than 10%), and all of the servers seem okay. The tables use LZO,
and have blockcache disabled (we were having problems inserting up to a billion rows with
it on, and read in the mailing list somewhere that it might help).

> The primary table has only 4 million rows at the moment. I created a new test table with
only 200,000, and it was running 100/sec as well.

> I'm not sure what the problem could be (paging?), or some configuration that can be adjusted?
>
> Any ideas? I can show our configuration if that's helpful, I just wasn't sure what info
would be helpful and what would be extraneous.