hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrey <atimerb...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Get operation in HBase Map-Reduce methods
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2010 06:10:46 GMT
> Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcryans@...> writes:
>

> That can be done in a couple of seconds using the normal HBase client
> in a multithreaded process, fed by a message queue if you feel like
> it. What were you trying to achieve using MR?
>
> J-D

Yes, that's a point as well, to use or not to use the MapReduce.

My intention was to use MapReduce to allow my task to be processed in parallel,
where it is possible. I realize, that for a small amount of data, which is
placed inside one online region in HBase, a regular Scan has got a much better
performance, then a MapReduce routine. Still, looking forward, it's quite
possible that the data will grow and reside in a number of online regions. This
will be the situation, where the MapReduce will be more powerful.

In other words, I just wanted to write code once and be prepared for the future.

Andrey