hbase-user mailing list archives

From alex kamil <alex.ka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Modeling column families
Date Sat, 24 Apr 2010 22:33:20 GMT
Ryan,

it makes sense, so probably the order randomization or in other words load
balancing has to be handled on a block/region level rather then on a single
row level to reduce the number of RPC calls.

so then the question is: does Hbase load balancing work as described in the
original BigTable paper "Each tablet is assigned to one tablet server at a
time" (i guess in some kind of round robin partitioning)
or it preserves the data locality by storing the multiple  regions data (a
collection of HFiles if I understand correctly) as a contiguous sequence of
data blocks on hdfs datanodes.
i'm looking at the documentation but i don't see it specifically addressed
there

Thanks
Alex