hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Nguyen <andrew-lists-hb...@ucsfcti.org>
Subject Re: HBase minimum block size for sequential access
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:44:09 GMT
Is there a way to force emptying of the "garbage can"?  I seem to have caused my cluster to
run out of space and now I'm trying to get the region servers back up but they are not happy
because they can't replicate, or so it seems from the logs...

--Andrew

On Jul 28, 2010, at 8:36 AM, Jean-Daniel Cryans wrote:

> Forced actions are currently async, and there's no feedback (this is
> currently being worked on for 0.90). I personnally look at the region
> servers' web UI metrics, when the compaction queue is at 0 on most
> machines then you know it's done. Ganglia makes this very easy as you
> can graph that for all the machines at the same time.
>
> Compacting files involves rewriting them (into new files), so it is
> expected that the DFS usage grows during that time. Also files on HDFS
> are put in a "garbage can" and are only really deleted later.
>
> J-D
>
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Andrew Nguyen
> <andrew-lists-hbase@ucsfcti.org> wrote:
>> So, I ran the following command in the shells:
>>
>> alter 'tablename', {NAME=>'cfname', BLOCKSIZE=>1045876}
>> major_compact 'tablename'
>>
>> How do I know the major compact completed successfully?  I saw that the number of
regions has grown quite a bit but I'm not quite sure to know when it's all finished so that
I can start the benchmarking.  Another thing that I noticed is after initiating the above,
my DFS usage has continued to grow.  I had 800g total, and 300g used.  After initiating the
compaction, I am now at 614M free...  Is this expected?

--
Andrew Nguyen
andrew@ucsfcti.org

intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged
information.  Any unauthorized review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication
is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately
by reply e-mail, and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments from your files.