hbase-user mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: restarting region server which shutdown due to GC pause
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2010 17:44:55 GMT
On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Ted Yu <yuzhihong@gmail.com> wrote:
> J-D:
> Can you elaborate why ssh isn't preferred ?
>
> One solution is to create a light weight Java process that monitors region
> server log and perform this duty.
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcryans@apache.org>wrote:
>
>> The stance in the hbase dev community on that issue is to let users'
>> cluster management tools handle it.
>>
>> Also, how would you start a java process on a remote machine (if still
>> alive) from another java process (the master)? If you can find an
>> elegant way that doesn't rely on SSH, this would be a nice
>> contribution that users could enable.
>>
>> J-D
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Ted Yu <yuzhihong@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Thanks for the answer.
>> >
>> > GC pause seems to be a major cause for region server to come down:
>> > 2010-07-21 09:07:14,138 WARN org.apache.hadoop.hbase.util.Sleeper: We
>> slept
>> > 291505ms, ten times longer than scheduled: 10000
>> >
>> > Is it possible for HBase Master to restart dead region server in this
>> case ?

Ted,
I just wrote to very relevant articles in my blog

Using func instead of SSH keys
http://www.edwardcapriolo.com/roller/edwardcapriolo/entry/func_hadoop_the_end_of

http://www.edwardcapriolo.com/roller/edwardcapriolo/entry/hadoop_secondarynamenode_puppet

In which I use the puppet 'service  resource' to do automatic restarts
of a secondary namenode. You could use puppet to accomplish auto
restarts for a region server.

I usually tweet my new recipes when I come out with
themhttp://twitter.com/@edwardcapriolo