hbase-user mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: web applications and multiple db calls per page view
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:24:46 GMT
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 11:12 AM, S Ahmed <sahmed1020@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I build a forum application like vbulletin on top on hbase, I can forsee
> that each page view will have multiple calls to hbase.
>
> Let's picture someone viewing a particular thread (question) on the website:
>
> 0. load the current website object (remember this is a multi-tenancy
> application, Saas forum application).
> 1. verify user is logged in.
> 2. get user profile / permissions if logged in
> 3. get current forum object
> 4. get current thread object
> 5. get all replies to thread
>
> And probably 2-3 calls will come into the picture as i progress.
>
> If each call takes 100ms, this isn't going to be a 'snappy' response now is
> it?
>
> Or is there a way to batch calls to minimize the chattyness?

If you are pooling/reusing hbase objects intelligently have a good
schema design, good caching, and enough hardware you should not be
seeing requests take that long. I do not want to promise 1ms
performance on every request but that is pretty common.

You started your message with  'If I build a forum application'. Have
you done this? If so are you actually seeing 100ms latency? Or are you
just asking if you saw that theoretical latency what would you do
next? Future troubleshooting ?