hbase-user mailing list archives

From Cosmin Lehene <cleh...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Row level locking?
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:34:36 GMT
Currently a row is part of a region and there's a single region server serving that region
at a particular moment.
So when that row is updated a lock is acquired for that row until the actual data is updated
in memory (note that a put will be written to cache on the region server and also persisted
in the write-ahead log - WAL). Subsequent puts to that row will have to wait for that lock.

HBase is fully consistent. This being said all the locking takes place at row level only,
so when you scan you have to take that into account as there's no range locking.

I'm not sure I understand the resource releasing issue. HTable.close() flushes the current
write buffer (you can have write buffer if you use autoFlush set to false).

Cosmin

On Jul 16, 2010, at 1:33 PM, Michael Segel wrote:

> Ok,
>
> First, I'm writing this before I've had my first cup of coffee so I am apologizing in
advance if the question is a brain dead question....

> Going from a relational background, some of these questions may not make sense in the
HBase world.

> When does HBase acquire a lock on a row and how long does it persist? Does the lock only
hit the current row, or does it also lock the adjacent rows too?
> Does HBase support the concept of 'dirty reads'?
>
> The issue is what happens when you have two jobs trying to hit the same table at the
same time and update/read the rows at the same time.

> A developer came across a problem and the fix was to use the HTable.close() method to
release any resources.

> I am wondering if you explicitly have to clean up or can a lazy developer let the object
just go out of scope and get GC'd.