hbase-user mailing list archives

From Arun Ramakrishnan <aramakrish...@languageweaver.com>
Subject hbase regions reporting multiple times
Date Sat, 10 Jul 2010 01:41:01 GMT
I shutdown hbase. Added some new nodes to hdfs, rebalanced. Also added those nodes to hbase
regionservers.
Then started hbase.

I am having this strange problem where the new nodes let's say host1 thru host4 gets repeatedly
reported/added to the regionservers list.

Initially when I did a "report 'simple'" from the shell, it showed me 10 unique hosts. Then
within a matter of minutes it grew to 17 ( with the newly added hosts repeating multiple times).

Also, the web UI failed with the following error.

##############
HTTP ERROR: 500
Trying to contact region server 192.168.130.63:60020 for region .META.,,1, row '', but failed
after 3 attempts.
Exceptions:
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.NotServingRegionException: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.NotServingRegionException:
.META.,,1
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.getRegion(HRegionServer.java:2266)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.openScanner(HRegionServer.java:1845)
        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor16.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC$Server.call(HBaseRPC.java:657)
        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer$Handler.run(HBaseServer.java:915)

Any insight into why the regions get repeated multiple times. I did a  hadoop fsck / and it
reports that all the blocks have been replicated 3 times ( the configured value ).

Thanks
Arun