hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Sanity check on inserts...
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:04:32 GMT

All,

Just wanting to be safe...

Suppose I have a Column family that has the following columns:
foo and bar.
(CF:foo, CF:bar)

So in my table I have a row:

Row_key | CF:foo   CF:bar
Alpha     | foo_val1      bar_val1

Later, I update the row with new data including a new column CF:retz
So I have the following:

Row_key | CF:foo          CF:bar     CF:retz

Alpha     | foo_valX      bar_valX    some_value

Later, I'm asked to restore the row from a back up.

So when I re-insert the row with the row_key Alpha
( Alpha     | foo_val1      bar_val1)

will I have :
Row_key | CF:foo   CF:bar

Alpha     | foo_val1      bar_val1

or:

Row_key | CF:foo          CF:bar     CF:retz

Alpha     | foo_val1      bar_val1    some_value

I imagine that when I write out a column family, I'm inserting the whole row so I wouldn't
see anything in the column (CF:retz) but I want to do a sanity check.

Thx

-Mike