hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Row level locking?
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:33:22 GMT

Ok,

First, I'm writing this before I've had my first cup of coffee so I am apologizing in advance
if the question is a brain dead question....

Going from a relational background, some of these questions may not make sense in the HBase
world.

When does HBase acquire a lock on a row and how long does it persist? Does the lock only hit
the current row, or does it also lock the adjacent rows too?
Does HBase support the concept of 'dirty reads'?

The issue is what happens when you have two jobs trying to hit the same table at the same
time and update/read the rows at the same time.

A developer came across a problem and the fix was to use the HTable.close() method to release
any resources.

I am wondering if you explicitly have to clean up or can a lazy developer let the object just
go out of scope and get GC'd.

Thx

-Mike