hbase-user mailing list archives

From Luke Forehand <luke.foreh...@networkedinsights.com>
Subject Re: Secondary indexes in 0.89
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:44:08 GMT
Jamie Cockrill <jamie.cockrill@...> writes:

> Luke,
>
> Apologies no, I've been rather sidelined by another issue at the
> moment. It's always the same, you get to playing with something
> interesting and you get pulled off to fight fires somewhere else. Once
> I get back on the case I'll have a look, however it someone did
> previously mention another library built  by the guys building Lily
> that seems to aim to achieve the same goal. Reposted again here:
>
> http://lilycms.org/lily/roadmap/sketchbook/hbaseindexes.html
>
> I've not had time to look at it in detail, but it might be a good
> starting point to get something up and going quickly if that's what
> you're after.
>
> Ta,
>
> Jamie
>
> On 23 July 2010 16:58, Luke Forehand
> <luke.forehand@...> wrote:
> > Jamie Cockrill <jamie.cockrill@...> writes:

Jamie,

Thanks for the lead, I'm taking a look at the hbaseindex src now.  I'm now
leaning toward writing and maintaining my own secondary index rather than use
the contrib IndexedTable stuff.  With IndexedTable I don't have enough control
over the index row key construction, and that is important depending on how I
want to scan/filter the indexed table.  Also, writing the index table from an
existing huge table with IndexedTableAdmin takes too long and would be better
suited as a Map Reduce job.  These are just a few observations I've made after a
somewhat cursory glance at the code.

-Luke