hbase-user mailing list archives

From Luke Forehand <luke.foreh...@networkedinsights.com>
Subject Re: Secondary indexes in 0.89
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2010 22:36:07 GMT
Stack <stack@...> writes:

> Luke: Where you looking?  St.Ack
>
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Luke Forehand
> <luke.forehand@...> wrote:
> > want to scan/filter the indexed table.  Also, writing the index table from an
> > existing huge table with IndexedTableAdmin takes too long and would be better
> > suited as a Map Reduce job.  These are just a few observations I've made
> > after a somewhat cursory glance at the code.

I was looking at the IndexedTableAdmin class over at github.  The private
method reIndexTable gets called at the end of addIndex method, but I would
prefer to remove that call and then let a Mapper Job write the index
table.

I might have been wrong about not having enough control over the index row
key construction since I didn't look closely.

In any case I've been trying two strategies for the index table:  One is to
write a column for each master column's row key so that these row keys are
"grouped" by a single row.

The second and what I think may be faster is to have the index table's row key
be a composite of the master table's column + row key.  Then you could use a
PrefixFilter to get specific results.

-Luke