hbase-user mailing list archives

From Han Liu <ha...@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject Re: Server-side write buffer configuration
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 18:21:21 GMT
Thanks for the reply J-D.
In-lined.  :)

On Aug 9, 2010, at 1:57 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans wrote:

> Hard to tell if it's decent performance. How do you define "decent"?
I consider it descent if it is roughly the best performance one can get using my schema on
my machines
> What kind of hardware are we talking about?
One machine for HBase master and 6 regionservers. Specs of each of these machines:
16 GB Ram
4 1TB 7200RPM SATA Drives
10 Gb Network: 1x Qlogic QLE3142-Cu-CK
CPU: 2x quad-core E5440 (2.83GHz, 12MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB)
> Which version are you
> using?
0.20.4
> How much memory was given to HBase?
6 GB

> Also did you set the write buffer on the client side on HTable?
Yes I set it to be "1024*1024*12" bytes
> Did
> you also turn off auto-flushing?
Yes it's turned off
> Do you monitor your cluster? If so,
> do you see lots if IO wait?
I didn't.. What do IO waits indicate?

> And finally, do you use a single client or multiple ones?

Single client. Will multiple client boost performance?
> :)

:) :)

Thanks a lot.
> J-D
>
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Han Liu <hanl1@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I know on the client side of HBase there's a configuration" hbase.client.write.buffer".
I wonder if there's a similar configuration on the region server side that i can tweak to
adjust performance?

>> Also as of right now I have managed to insert 15gb data to a 6-regionserver HBase
database in roughly 26 minutes using the "table.put(Put p)" schema. Generally is this a decent
performance?