hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: major differences with Cassandra
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:17:30 GMT
Thanks for that bit of feedback.

Right now stumbleupon operates a cluster that handles 20,000 requests a
second 24/7 for about a year now. Even though we have hbase developers I
don't think there is any special sauce and anyone could replicate the
successes we've had. Mozilla is one candidate. There are others who are
quieter about it.

On Aug 18, 2010 11:11 AM, "Time Less" <timelessness@gmail.com> wrote:
> HBase is run by persons who understand (or are willing to hear) the
> operational requirements of distributed databases in high-volume
> environments, whereas the Cassandra project isn't.
>
> Talks about technical differences are really noise, because they're
entirely
> theoretical. When viewed with this knowledge, a lot of the disagreements,
> flamewars, and shoutfests begin to make sense.
>
> As of today, I'm unaware of any major feature Cassandra claims that it
> actually delivers outside of installations run by the developers
themselves.
> Specifically: multi-DC, hinted handoff, compaction, dynamic cluster
resizing
> are all fail. The developers will adamantly claim all such features work
> just fine. Good luck getting any of it to work in YOUR environment.
>
> In stark contrast, I am intimately familiar with at least one large HBase
> installation run by non-developers (at Mozilla).
>
> Disclaimers: I am very familiar with the Cassandra product internals,
> developers, history, and community. I am less familiar with HBase. I might
> therefore have a rosy view of the HBase community based on ignorance.
Also,

http://blog.mozilla.com/data/2010/05/18/riak-and-cassandra-and-hbase-oh-my/