hbase-user mailing list archives

From Alex Baranau <alex.barano...@gmail.com>
Subject HTable.delete(List) vs delete(Delete) and MR-related Q
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 13:35:56 GMT
Hello,

Please correct my following assumptions if they are wrong.

HTable.delete(List) works a bit faster than delete(Delete) (if we need to
delete multiple records) because the former causes single RPC request
(single from client, but still chucks of deletes are sent to respective
region servers). And it looks like deleting itself is the same in current
implementation (as of 0.20.6 at least, what about trunk?): records deleted
one-by-one.

If it's true, then it might makes sense to accept List<Delete> (some
Writable form of it) in TableOutputFormat (along with currently accepted Put
and Delete): this could improve performance?

Btw, it looks like with Puts we don't have this problem in case client-side
write buffer is used: put(Put) and put(List) are equivalent. Well, almost:
the first one creates extra ArrayList instance internally. Btw-2: it seems
like this instance is created for the sake of a bit better code
design/style, but doesn't look like it's worth it IMHO.

Thank you,
Alex.