hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Quick way to find the number of rows in a Table
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2010 01:57:58 GMT

Uhm just a sick thought... with the talks about coprocessors...

Couldn't one write something to monitor the WAL and manage record/row counts?
Sort of use coprocessors to manage statistics and such.

Ok... I'll go back to my carb deprived diet now... :-)

-Mike

> Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 16:52:09 -0800
> Subject: Re: Quick way to find the number of rows in a Table
> From: stack@duboce.net
> To: user@hbase.apache.org
>
> What Michael said.
>
> Run the rowcounter M/R job:
>
> Type:
>
> ./bin/hadoop jar hbase.jar
>
> ... to learn more, read
> http://hbase.apache.org/docs/r0.89.20100924/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mapreduce/package-summary.html#package_description
>
> St.Ack
>

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The quickest way is a m/r job.
> >
> >> From: phaidinyak@local.com
> >> To: user@hbase.apache.org
> >> Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 16:02:44 -0800
> >> Subject: Quick way to find the number of rows in a Table
> >>
> >> Hi
> >>    I am going to have a process running that will add rows to a table. The row
id is just a counter of the number of rows inserted. Is there a quick way to programmatically
find out the number of rows in a table so when I start adding rows the count isn't disrupted?
Also, is there a better way to assign a row Id?