hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Replication and timestamps and timezones (oh my)
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2011 19:17:31 GMT
Maybe it's not clear, by "need to be in the same timezone" it means
that the machines' configured timezone needs to be the same. So yes
they can be in different physical timezones but it will work if the
configured tz is UTC.

J-D

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 11:10 AM, Joe Pallas <pallas@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> The wiki page for cluster replication <http://hbase.apache.org/docs/r0.89.20100924/replication.html>
has a FAQ  at the bottom that says:

>> Why do all clusters need to be in the same timezone?
>>
>> Suppose an edit to cell X happens in a EST cluster, then 2 minutes later a new edits
happens to the same cell in a PST cluster and that both clusters are in a master-master replication.
The second edit is considered younger, so the first will always hide it while in fact the
second is older.

> That has to be wrong, doesn't it?  Timestamps would all be in UTC, so the local timezone
is irrelevant.  Am I overlooking something obvious, and if not, can I trust the rest of this
document?