hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: putting a border around 0.92 release
Date Sat, 26 Feb 2011 22:24:21 GMT
Woah those are huge tasks!

Also to consider:

 - integration with hadoop 0.22, should we support it and should we
also support 0.20 at the same time? 0.22 was branched but IIRC it
still has quite a few blockers.
 - removing heartbeats, this is in the pipeline from Stack and IMO
will have ripple effects on online schema editing.
 - HBASE-2856, pretty critical.
 - replication-related issues like multi-slave (which I'm working on),
and ideally multi-master. I'd like to add better management tools too.

And lastly we need to plan when we want to branch 0.92... should we
target late May in order to be ready for the Hadoop Summit in June?
For once it would be nice to offer more than an alpha release :)

Oh and we need a 0.91 pretty soon, putting coprocessors out there would be nice.

Exciting!

J-D

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
> Stack and I were chatting on IRC about settling with should get into 0.92 before pulling
the trigger on the release.

> Stack thinks we need online region schema editing. I agree because per-table coprocessor
update to trigger various actions in the regionserver. (For CPs, (re)load.)

> I'd also really like to see some form of secondary indexing. This is an important feature
for HBase to have. All of our in house devs ask for this sooner or later in one form or another.
Other projects have options in this arena, while HBase used to in core, but no longer. We
have three people starting on this ASAP. I'd like to at least do co-design with the community.
We should aim for 'simple and effective'.