hbase-user mailing list archives

From Mark Jarecki <mjare...@bigpond.net.au>
Subject Hbase 0.90.1 install OS X 10.6.6
Date Sun, 27 Feb 2011 11:17:41 GMT
Hi guys,

I'm trying to install Hbase 0.90.1 on OS X 10.6.6 in psuedo-distributed mode for use on a
laptop, as instructed on:

http://blog.ibd.com/howto/hbase-hadoop-on-mac-ox-x/
AND
http://hbase.apache.org/book/notsoquick.html
(Especially section 1.3.2.2.1 Psuedo-distributed followed by 1.3.2.3)

After completing most of what I think follows the installation process, I call:
bin/start-hbase.sh

When I log into the hbase shell to create some test data, I get :
ERROR: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ZooKeeperConnectionException: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ZooKeeperConnectionException:
org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException$ConnectionLossException: KeeperErrorCode = ConnectionLoss
for /hbase

The logs reads:
11/02/27 12:10:47 WARN zookeeper.ClientCnxn: Session 0x0 for server null, unexpected error,
closing socket connection and attempting reconnect
	at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.finishConnect(SocketChannelImpl.java:574)
	at org.apache.zookeeper.ClientCnxn$SendThread.run(ClientCnxn.java:1119)
11/02/27 12:10:47 ERROR master.HMasterCommandLine: ZooKeeper not available

Obviously, Zookeeper is not installed, unavailable or something else. I'm not sure which,
as all the installation instructions aren't clear on the matter. Section 1.3.2.3 of the docs
says:

"If you are managing your own ZooKeeper, start it and confirm its running else, HBase will
start up ZooKeeper for you as part of its start process."

But I'm not sure if I'm supposed to manage my own Zookeeper, especially since I didn't actually
install it. I did try setting export HBASE_MANAGES_ZK=true in hbase-env.sh, but it made no
difference.

Any ideas on how to fix my Hbase install?

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mark