hbase-user mailing list archives

From Adam Phelps <...@opendns.com>
Subject Speeding up LoadIncrementalHFiles?
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2011 01:32:52 GMT
Does anyone have any suggestions for speeding up LoadIncrementalHFiles?

We have M/R jobs that directly generate HFiles and are then loaded into
HBase via LoadIncrementalHFiles.  We're attempting to maintain a backup
of our production HBase on a backup Hadoop cluster by copying the HFiles
there and then loading them there.

The problem we're running into is that we want the backup cluster to use
a good number fewer nodes than the primary cluster, however despite
having a pretty low load (CPU, disk IO, etc) it isn't keeping up well.
We'd rather not dedicate more nodes from the overall pool to this
purpose if at all possible.  Are there any settings that can be adjusted
to improve the performance of the bulk load?

Alternate suggestions for maintaining an HBase backup would also be of
interest.

- Adam