hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Query Regarding HBase Schema Design for Composite Keys and Indexing.
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:36:59 GMT
On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 10:28 PM, Mohit <mohitsikri@huawei.com> wrote:
> Hmm, but I guess; earlier the secondary index feature was the part of HBase
> release, as exposed Java API's. In  release 0.20.x.
> There was a bug as well to support that, which is fixed. HBASE-883.
>
> Authors/Users/Michael,
>
> Whereas for 0.90.0 onwards there is no direct support as Michael mentioned
> below, but supporting projects like lily, as mentioned in the HBase wiki.
>
> Why such a strategy or why it has been moved out of the release?

We used to carry tableindexed in contrib, a secondary index facility.
We pushed it and other contribs out of hbase because we wanted to undo
ourselves of keeping up contributions; contribs evolve at different
rates often lagging core hbase dev.  Often a change to core would
ripple down into contribs.  The core dev might not have expertise in
the contrib that needed changing.

Regards secondary indices, the are more than one way to skin a cat.
tableindexed was built on top of transactional hbase.  Not everyone
wanted to do secondary indexing this way.  Both contribs,
transactional and indexed, were done as subclasses of hbase which was
fine for the time but now we'd consider having to start up a subclass
an obstacle.

> However there are some people working on HBASE-3340, but its design is still
> evolving, I guess, any idea till what release it will be ready?

Yeah, a few folks are interested in the above issue.  Hopefully it'll
be done for 0.92, which should be available as a developer release
soon enough -- in a month or two.

St.Ack