hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Why HTableDescriptor DEFAULT_VERSIONS is 3?
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 17:40:17 GMT
Want to make an issue to change it Joe?  (As Ryan says, no
justification that I remember other than that is how its always been).

St.Ack

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Joe Pallas <pallas@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2011, at 11:52 PM, Ryan Rawson wrote:
>
>> because it always has been?  I think the original BT paper probably
>> had the number '3' in there somewhere...
>>
>> But yes, not too big, not too small.  There probably isnt a reasonable
>> setting here, I'm guessing 1 isnt quite right either.
>
> Why?  Why shouldn't 1 be the default?  If you don't have an explicit use case for more
than one version, which I would wager many people don't, what is the point of it?

> joe
>
> PS Yes, the Google paper has the number 3 in it somewhere: in the web-crawling example.
 Since it was just one example, it doesn't make a very good basis for a system-wide default.