hbase-user mailing list archives

From Bill Graham <billgra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: any static column name behavior in hbase? (ie. not storing column name per row)
Date Wed, 11 May 2011 21:51:48 GMT
HBase will always need to store the column name in each cell that uses it.
The only way to reduce the size taken by storing repeated column names
(besides using compression) is to instead store a small pointer to a lookup
table that holds the column name. Check out OpenTSDB, which does something
similar for efficiently storing name/value pairs repeatedly.