hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: hadoop without append in the absence of puts
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 17:42:59 GMT
> From: Andreas Neumann <neunand@gmail.com>
> Actually I want compactions

Fair enough but this doesn't involve META or append, I mentioned it as an aside.

> think I also want splits, because the data is going to grow
> over time.

Examine that assumption. If you have sufficient distribution of preallocated regions over
the cluster (according to the space of keys of the application) then the accumulation of additional
regions will probably just make things slower.

Anyway...

> Regarding the alternative HLog implementation, yes I was
> thinking of writing and closing the file for every WAL write.
> But if the only writes are caused by tables structure changes
> such as splits and reassignment

Modify HLog code to always roll after a META edit and you should be good.

   - Andy