hbase-user mailing list archives

From Bill Graham <billgra...@gmail.com>
Subject any multitenancy suggestions for HBase?
Date Mon, 13 Jun 2011 22:31:31 GMT
Hello there,

We have a number of different groups within our organization who will soon
be working within the same HBase cluster and we're trying to set up some
best practices to keep thinks organized. Since there are no HBase ACLs  and
no concept of multiple databases in the cluster, we're looking to propose a
simple convention that will hopefully keep people from stepping on each
others toes (or worse!).

Does anyone have any best/worst practices they're willing to share w.r.t.
thing likes table/column naming schemes in a multitenant environment? For
table names for example, is there anything better than a basic dot-delimited
naming convention with the group name as the first token?

Also, I assume there's no performance cost with using long table names like
there is with long CF:col names. Please let me know if that's not the case.

thanks,
Bill