hbase-user mailing list archives

From Adam Shook <ash...@clearedgeit.com>
Subject RE: Failure to get HTable using MapReduce on some Nodes
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2011 18:16:59 GMT
Thanks for your response St.Ack!

No exceptions are being thrown -- the task gets killed once the 10 minute default is up.
I put some log statements in the setup and it tries to get the table, but the log statement
after the call to pool.getTable(name) never gets called.

The hbase-default.xml and hbase-site.xml files are all identical on each of the machines (double
checked).  However, I did notice that the zookeeper folder was not on the machines that failed.
 I put the folder on all the machines, restarted zookeeper and hbase, and still had no luck.

All regions are showing up in the UI with regions in them and the count does run through all
the data in the table.

Another thing I noticed is that there is no ZooKeeper QuorumPeerMain service running on any
machine but the two that are functioning.  Only an HRegionServer is running on all ten machines.
 Is this an issue?  I was told that they do not need to be running to work properly.

Thanks!
-- Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: saint.ack@gmail.com [mailto:saint.ack@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Stack
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 12:37 PM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Re: Failure to get HTable using MapReduce on some Nodes

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Adam Shook <ashook@clearedgeit.com> wrote:
> I am running a MapReduce job using standard input and output formats and using an HTable
as a reference data set in my Mapper code.  I am using a small cluster of around 10 nodes.
 In my setup phase I am using an HTablePool to get a reference to a table.  On all but two
nodes, the call to getting the table hangs and eventually causes the task to fail.  However,
on two of the 10 machines, it retrieves the table and its business as usual.  (I also just
tried creating a new HTable without the pool - no dice).

Any exception thrown?

> It just so happens that the two machines I can successfully get the table on are configured
in the hbase-site.xml file for the hbase.zookeeper.quorum file.

Any other configuration differences on these machines?  Are these
using localhost to find zk and finding something because zk instance
is actually running locally (whereas the others fail to find a zk
member)?

>  I was told that the other machines don't need to be in this file - ZooKeeper will handle
everything and I should be able to get a table just fine.  The cluster is configured so HBase
is not managing ZooKeeper.

This should be fine.

> If I ssh into any of the 8 machines that don't work, I am able to use the HBase shell
and scan through a table.

If you look at your UI are all ten machines showing, all with regions
loaded?  If you run a count from the shell, it runs through all of
your table contents? (Could take a while if big)

St.Ack

> Thanks!
> Adam

-----