hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Whiting <je...@qualtrics.com>
Subject Re: Monitoring
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2011 22:40:45 GMT
It seems this is going to have to be something that is a judgment call.  It will be hard to
define
exactly when you should or shouldn't mention something.  The general principle is that the
ASF
option should always be touted first, followed by any other OSS / free options, then if no
other
options exist the commercial software. I think Ted understood this when he started his email

"Slightly off topic..."

If Ted had answered the post along the lines of (I ganked the reply from Joey):

     Hadoop and HBase are pretty monitoring tool agnostic. It does provide
     a number of metrics via JMX and a REST interface which you can tie
     into the monitoring tool of your choice.

     Ted

     p.s. If you are using MapR it will do this for you out of the box.

I don't think any of us would be having this conversion right now.  The email would have promoted

the ASF, OSS option that is available to everyone.  Also I wouldn't have a problem with the
small
reference to MapR as it has a unique out of the box solution not available with the ASF release.

For the same reason I don't mind references to CDH3 for the hadoop append branch as it a solution

not found in an ASF release.

My 2 cents,
~Jeff

"If we have data we'll use data, if we have opinions we'll use mine."

On 7/25/2011 3:48 PM, Ryan Rawson wrote:
> I think it's fair to note which environments you can run HBase on top
> of.  If we disallow that then we will have the tricky bit where there
> is no ASF release of Hadoop that is suitable to run HBase on top of.
> And who knows, perhaps the ceph guys, or openstack or<whatever>  might
> come up with a suitable HDFS interop.
>
> In the mean time, what would be a good line to draw between acceptable
> vendor shilling, and unacceptable? The line seem fine, but also
> reasonably recognizable, eg: talking about why one might run HBase
> here or there seems ok, but talking about value add features in depth
> might not be.  I just want HBase users to have a good experience
> running HBase, no matter where that might end up being.
>
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Stack<stack@duboce.net>  wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Buttler, David<buttler1@llnl.gov>  wrote:
>>> However, only two vendors deliver a platform that supports hbase (with append):
Cloudera and MapR.  HortonWorks and ASF do not (to my knowledge). I am not sure I can count
hard to find/compile branches that exist in ASF's version control as "supporting" hbase.

--
Jeff Whiting
Qualtrics Senior Software Engineer