hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: HBase region size
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2011 06:33:29 GMT
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Aditya Karanth A
<aditya_karanth@mindtree.com> wrote:
>> I have heard that bigger the size of the regionserver, more time it takes
>> for region splitting and slower the reads are. Is this true?
> (I have not been able to experiment with all these in our environments yet,
> but if anyone has been there and done that, would be good to know)

Well, splitting is fast in that it just writes out references files;
it does not actually rewrite data so size shouldn't matter.

Scan reads don't care about file size (bigger may actually be slightly
faster).  Random read performance also is unrelated to file/region
size (We consult the in-memory index to figure where to jump to to
start the read -- this should be the same for big or small files).

St.Ack