hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: hbck -fix
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 17:28:31 GMT
On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 12:39 AM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:
> I've done exercises in the past like delete META on disk and recreate it with the earlier
set of utilities (add_table.rb). This always "worked for me" when I've tried it.

We need to update add_table.rb at least.  The onlining of regions was
done by the metascan.  It no longer exists in 0.90.  Maybe a
disable/enable after an add_table.rb would do but probably better to
revamp and merge it with hbck?

> Results from torture tests that HBase was subjected to in the timeframe leading up to
0.90 also resulted in better handling of .META. table related errors. They are fortunately
demonstrably now rare.

Agreed.

>My concern here is getting repeatable results demonstrating HBCK weaknesses will be challenging.

Yes.  This is the tough one.  I was hoping Wayne had a snapshot of
.META. to help at least characterize the problem.

(This does sound like something our Dan Harvey ran into recently on an
hbase 0.20.x hbase.  Let me go back to him.  He might have some input
that will help here.)

St.Ack