hbase-user mailing list archives

From Christian Schäfer <syrious3...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: Persist to HBase with JPA using HBql-JDBC-Driver (Examples)?
Date Sat, 15 Oct 2011 21:34:55 GMT
Ok..so if using jpa would kill hbase's performance...it may be an idea to use hbase native
interface for hbase and jpa only for traditional DBs...so there are two interfaces..

But nevertheless I will try on using data nucleus' jpa for hbase and make some benchmarks
to compare it with the hbase native interface ;-)

Btw. I don't think I would have to forget M/R as I would only use JPA to get data into hbase
or to get few records out of it....for analysis via M/R I would of course not use any JPA
stuff but the native way..

comments welcome..as I'm a greenhorn to hadoop concepts :)

________________________________
Von: Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com>
An: syrious3000@yahoo.de
Gesendet: 22:27 Samstag, 15.Oktober 2011
Betreff: RE: Persist to HBase with JPA using HBql-JDBC-Driver (Examples)?

Ok. So scratch the M/R then.

I would still suggest that you really don't try and create a single interface. You're going
to reduce your performance unnecessarily and not gain much in the process. HBase doesn't fit
well in the JDBC realm. There is no such concept of a transaction.

If you're going to try and solve a problem w two totally different types of data stores, you
may want to get a little more creative. But trying to force HBase's api into a JPA which was
designed for RDBMs... not really a good idea.

JMHO, YMMV.

-Mike