hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Yaron Y. goland" <ya...@goland.org>
Subject Questions about http://hbase.apache.org/cygwin.html
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2011 03:04:07 GMT
I was able to successfully install and run HBase on Windows using Cygwin
following http://hbase.apache.org/cygwin.html but I ran into a couple of
things and was wondering if I was confused or if perhaps there's an
issue with the doc.

Installation - Java - The doc explicitly calls out for JDK 6 but I
installed JDK 7 and it seems 'fine'. I know, I know, famous last words.
Did I err or is the doc being too specific?

Installation - SSH - In step 4.4 it says install zlib but didn't say
which one to choose, there are several listed. I picked the first one
and that seemed to work out fine. Did I pick right? It would be great if
the doc provided some guidance here.
     In the Configuration - SSH section later in the doc there is a note
that editing with VI would be nice. Which I agree but it would have been
an even nicer suggestion in the top ssh section since the user is anyway
having to choose packages to install and so could install VI, emacs,
Nano, whatever.

Configuration - Java - I couldn't get the listed LN command to work. To
get it to work I have to change the last part to read "/usr/local" and
not "/usr/local/<jre name>" as listed. Is the doc wrong or am I just
confused?

Configuration - SSH - I believe one can skip step 3 (editing
/etc/hosts.allow) since the listed settings are already in the
hosts.allow file I got.
     Step 6 - I had to use mkgroup -lc > /etc/group instead of what is
listed, otherwise I got complaints later on that that my group was
'mkgroup'. Is the doc in error or is there something horked in my
installation?

Configuration - Hbase - Step 2 - By default there doesn't appear to be
an hbase-default.xml file installed in ./conf. One has to copy it from
./src/main/resources into ./conf. Then edit it. Note that there is
another copy available in docs but its formatting seems horked.
     Also when I tried to use the version of hbase-default.xml I ran
into the version checking exception. To fix this I had to set
hbase.defaults.for.version to '0.90.4' (the version of hbase I'm using).
That got rid of the exception. It would have been nice if the doc called
this out.

So did I err or are there minor bugs in the doc?

In any case after a few hours it did work and I now have Hbase up and
running on my Windows 7 x64 box.

     Thanks!

             Yaron