hbase-user mailing list archives

From Amandeep Khurana <ama...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase, Hive, Hive over HBase or Pig over HBase
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:26:36 GMT
Vivek,

Can you elaborate on 4? Storing data in HDFS directly does not give you the
option of updating it. However, that's not a good enough reason to use
HBase. Do you need random reads/writes outside of just the selective
increments? Can you store the increments in a separate file and then do a
resolution in the final results and periodically collapse all the updates
and make a new base table?

Hive over HBase is not yet ready. Pig - HBase integration is relatively more
mature.

Also, like Doug said, 30m records can be handled by an RDBMS. Does that not
solve your purpose? What are the challenges you faced, if any?

-Amandeep