hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question on timestamp, timeranges
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2011 18:17:10 GMT
We had a discussion about timestamps recently, and like I was saying there
the general rule is not to try using the timestamps.

About the other questions:

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 6:03 AM, Steinmaurer Thomas <
Thomas.Steinmaurer@scch.at> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> we think about using the internal timestamp for processing a range of
> newly inserted records in a HBase table. Is the timestamp a reliable way
> to go?

Hard to tell without really knowing what you're trying to do, but my default
answer is no. If the timestamp is part of your data model, it should be
inside your row key or a column.

> When is a timestamp updated? For sure when inserting HBase rows,
> but I wonder what happens when overwriting existing rows with unchanged
> cell values?

Every time a new cell is inserted, even if it has the same data (because if
HBase had to check that, it would have to do a read for every write,
right?).