hbase-user mailing list archives

From Peter Wolf <opus...@gmail.com>
Subject Yet another "get the last 100 rows" question...
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 21:41:30 GMT
Hello all,

I am a new HBase user with a familiar problem.  I need to efficiently
return the last 100 rows from an account.  I searched the archives, and
read the book, but did not find a complete answer.

I have a table of interactions with my users.  One row per interaction.

I am using a composite Row Key of the form

<accountID><timestamp>

So using partial row key scans I can efficiently get all the rows for an
account.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to relate row count to timestamp, so I
have to get all the rows.  I then use a PageFilter to get only the last 100.

However, I believe that Filters operate on the Client side, so all of
the rows get transmitted.  I believe this is not efficient.

I have two questions--

1) Am I correct that my solution is not efficient, and I need to filter
at the Server?
2) If so, is there a "best practice" for this problem?

Thanks in advance
Peter