hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ian Varley <ivar...@salesforce.com>
Subject Re: HBase for ad-hoc aggregate queries
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2012 19:15:45 GMT
And in case no one else says it ...

I'm taking a look at moving our datastore from Oracle to HBase

This is a questionable project in the general case. HBase is not a relational store and lacks
indexes, transactions, isolation, easy ad-hoc querying, and nearly everything else you get
from Oracle. It may work for specific cases, but it's not usually prudent to think of it as
"simply" converting from one database to another.

On Jan 11, 2012, at 11:10 AM, "kisalay" <kisalay@gmail.com<mailto:kisalay@gmail.com>>
I'm taking a look at moving our datastore from Oracle to HBase