hbase-user mailing list archives

From Doug Meil <doug.m...@explorysmedical.com>
Subject Re: HBase & BigTable + History: Can it run decently on a 512MB machine? What's the difference between the two?
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2012 02:13:06 GMT

To stress what Andrew said, the HBase homepage says:

"HBase is an open-source, distributed, versioned, column-oriented store
modeled after Google's Bigtable: A Distributed Storage System for
Structured Data <http://research.google.com/archive/bigtable.html>
 by Chang et al.
 Just as Bigtable leverages the distributed data storage provided by the
 Google File System, HBase provides Bigtable-like capabilities on top of
 Hadoop and HDFS."

Note the phrases "modeled after" and "Bigtable-like", not "is 100% exactly
the same as."