hbase-user mailing list archives

From Amandeep Khurana <ama...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to merge regions in HBase?
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 23:26:41 GMT
You shouldn't have empty regions. Using timestamp will give you
regions that are always half filled except the last one to which you
are writing the current time range. The moment that'll fill up, split
and you'll again be writing to the last region. How did you end up
with empty regions? Did you pre-split?

On Jul 17, 2012, at 7:15 PM, Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Find a different row key?
>
> The problem with merging regions is that once you merge the regions, any net new regions
will still have the same problem. So you'll have to merge again, and again and again.
> You're always filling to the left of the last key.
>
> In order to merge, you have to take the table offline.  At least that's my understanding.
So its not a good thing.