hbase-user mailing list archives

From hbase user <hbaseu...@gmail.com>
Subject string versus binary row ids - Co Processor aggregation performance?
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2012 16:44:36 GMT
We are in the midst of working on a complete overhaul from mysql to hbase.
>From what I can read, it really does not matter if you use string
increments versus a binary row id.  I have been reading a lot about
hotspots in the cluster, but I was hoping someone could shed some light on
the do's and don't of this decision.  Hive .9x plays nice with binary, put
prior to that it expected strings.

What are the long term advantages using binary compared to a string row id?

It sorts according not matter the type in HBase, but what about
co-processor aggregations?  Are they only expecting long datatypes?

Forgive me if this topic has already been hashed out.

thanks in advance.

/tom