hbase-user mailing list archives

From Aaron Kimball <akimbal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Regarding Designing Hbase Table - for a banking scenario
Date Mon, 31 Dec 2012 19:59:15 GMT
Hi Rams,

This schema looks like a pretty reasonable one. It's worth noting though,
that there are some performance implications of using multiple column
families like this for every 1:many relationship in raw HBase. Each column
family is expensive to maintain.

You might find it helpful to take a look at the KijiSchema project (
www.kiji.org). It's built on HBase and Avro, supports typed fields, and
also allows you to define arbitrary logical column families (and change
column types) in a safe, evolvable way.

Your row key schema looks pretty reasonable. You can manage your row keys
however you want in Kiji (just concatenate the strings as you'd like), but
we're thinking about adding direct support for composite keys to the system
as well.

Regards,
- Aaron