hbase-user mailing list archives

From Alex Baranau <alex.barano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is it necessary to set MD5 on rowkey?
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 17:12:37 GMT
Hello,

@Mike:

I'm the author of that post :).

Quick reply to your last comment:

1) Could you please describe why "the use of a 'Salt' is a very, very bad
idea" in more specific way than "Fetching data takes more effort". Would be
helpful for anyone who is looking into using this approach.

2) The approach described in the post also says you can prefix with the
hash, you probably missed that.

3) I believe your answer, "use MD5 or SHA-1" doesn't help bigdata guy.
Please re-read the question: the intention is to distribute the load while
still being able to do "partial key scans". The blog post linked above
explains one possible solution for that, while your answer doesn't.

@bigdata:

Basically when it comes to solving two issues: distributing writes and
having ability to read data sequentially, you have to balance between being
good at both of them. Very good presentation by Lars:
http://www.slideshare.net/larsgeorge/hbase-advanced-schema-design-berlin-buzzwords-june-2012,
slide 22. You will see how this is correlated. In short:
* having md5/other hash prefix of the key does better w.r.t. distributing
writes, while compromises ability to do range scans efficiently
* having very limited number of 'salt' prefixes still allows to do range
scans (less efficiently than normal range scans, of course, but still good
enough in many cases) while providing worse distribution of writes

In the latter case by choosing number of possible 'salt' prefixes (which
could be derived from hashed values, etc.) you can balance between
distributing writes efficiency and ability to run fast range scans.

Hope this helps

Alex Baranau
------
Sematext :: http://blog.sematext.com/ :: Hadoop - HBase - ElasticSearch -