hbase-user mailing list archives

From Dan Crosta <...@magnetic.com>
Subject Re: What are the appropriate steps before performing hardware maintenance?
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2013 16:31:28 GMT
Sorry, I should have mentioned before -- we are using CDH 4.2, which does not package the graceful_stop
script. Do you happen to know if there's a way to do this through the CDH manager? Perhaps
the "decommission" action does something similar? My impression is that "decommission" is
more heavy-handed, but if that's the most convenient route, that'll work for us.

Thanks,
- Dan

On Apr 25, 2013, at 11:30 AM, Jean-Marc Spaggiari wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> You might want to take a look at bin/graceful_stop.sh . It will move
> all the regions hosted by your RS to other RS before stopping it
> gracefuly. After the maintenance, simply start the RS/DN back and it
> will be added back to the cluster. Loadbalancer will then assign some
> regions back to him. You will loose some data locality for the regions
> wich are going to be moved.
>
> JM
>
> 2013/4/25 Dan Crosta <dan@magnetic.com>:
>> We have to perform maintenance on one of our HDFS DataNode/HBase Regionserver machines
for a few hours. What are the right steps to take before doing the maintenance in order to
ensure limited  impact to the cluster and (thrift) clients of the cluster, both for HDFS and
HBase?

>> After the maintenance, are there any special steps required to add the node back
to the cluster, or can we simply restart the services and HDFS/HBase take care of the rest?