hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Marc Spaggiari <jean-m...@spaggiari.org>
Subject Re: What are the appropriate steps before performing hardware maintenance?
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2013 15:30:06 GMT
Hi Dan,

You might want to take a look at bin/graceful_stop.sh . It will move
all the regions hosted by your RS to other RS before stopping it
gracefuly. After the maintenance, simply start the RS/DN back and it
will be added back to the cluster. Loadbalancer will then assign some
regions back to him. You will loose some data locality for the regions
wich are going to be moved.

JM

2013/4/25 Dan Crosta <dan@magnetic.com>:
> We have to perform maintenance on one of our HDFS DataNode/HBase Regionserver machines
for a few hours. What are the right steps to take before doing the maintenance in order to
ensure limited  impact to the cluster and (thrift) clients of the cluster, both for HDFS and
HBase?

> After the maintenance, are there any special steps required to add the node back to the
cluster, or can we simply restart the services and HDFS/HBase take care of the rest?