hbase-user mailing list archives

From techbuddy <techbuddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Altering table column family attributes without disabling the table
Date Tue, 23 Jul 2013 19:19:03 GMT
Hi,

We need to enable replication on a live cluster. However it requires
disabling the table and bringing the required column families under the
scope of replication as under.

disable 'your_table'
alter 'your_table', {NAME => 'family_name', REPLICATION_SCOPE => '1'}
enable 'your_table'

This is something we really can't afford to do as disabling a table would
effectively make our application unavailable for a significant time, as we
have 1000s of regions per table,and disabling and enabling a table would
mean closing and opening all those regions disrupting the whole Hbase
cluster.

Is there any way to do this table attribute modification dynamically,
without disabling the table?

-thanks
sb