hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Webster <michael.webs...@bronto.com>
Subject Dropping a very large table
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 23:36:04 GMT
Hello,

I have a very large HBase table running on 0.90, large meaning >20K regions
with a max region size of 1GB. This table is legacy and can be dropped, but
 we aren't sure what impact disabling/dropping that large of a table will
have on our cluster.

We are using dropAsync and polling HTable#isEnabled instead of the standard
shell disable command to avoid a timeout during disable like in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-3432.
Is there any risk to overwhelming zookeeper or the master with region
closed events during the disable, or would it be comparable to what happens
during a cluster restart when RS closes out regions?  Additionally, are
there any concerns with wiping out that much data in HDFS at once during
the drop?

Thank you in advance,
Michael