hbase-user mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using HBase in standalone mode in production
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2014 08:19:54 GMT
Chiming in late here. You might be better served with a database that was designed to run on
a single host.
HBase will run in standalone mode for testing purposes, but then it uses a local wrapper for
the filesystem, which does not (I think) support the sync API, and hence HBase has no way
to guarantee changes on disk and machine outage can corrupt your data (I faintly remember
some discussion about this, so this might have changed).
You could run a single node HDFS and a single node HBase on the same machine, but then there
are simpler databases to run.

MySQL was mentioned here. PostgreSQL has good blob and even key-value support. Might want
to to try Redis as well; and there are many more single node type key value stores.
Many of the design choices for HBase were made with scalability in mind.

-- Lars

________________________________
 From: Arun Allamsetty <arun.allamsetty@gmail.com>
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 12:55 AM
Subject: Using HBase in standalone mode in production

Hi all,

So this question might be stupid, retarded even, but it has been bugging me
for a while and I cannot think of a better place to ask this. I am really
impressed with the way HBase works (as a key-value store). Since it stores
everything as a byte array, I find it really convenient to store serialized
objects. Also, I understand that HBase is supposed to be used when you have
too much data to be handled by a single machine, so we can scale our
application by running it in distributed mode.

But what if I want to use it because its HashMap kind of capabilities with
an added feature to track versions. Is it recommended that I use it for a
small application (in standalone mode) with maybe 100K users and storage
needs which probably won't exceed 100G.

I know it is never recommended to be used as a transactional database (I
have read that in a million places) but I would like to know more about it.

Thanks,
Arun