hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How Hbase achieves efficient random access?
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2014 19:56:58 GMT
Out of curiosity Vladimir, did you feel like a fork of HBase was necessary because of something
about the Apache HBase project's process or community? Or was it more of a licensing thing
(noting you're not using ASL 2)?

On Jul 6, 2014, at 11:26 PM, Vladimir Rodionov <vrodionov@carrieriq.com> wrote:

>>> Another issue is that we cache only blocks. So for workloads with random reads
where the working set of blocks does not fit into the aggregate block cache HBase would need
to load an entire block for each KV it wants to read. For those >>workloads we might
want to consider a KV cache. (See also Vladimirs BigBase - https://github.com/VladRodionov/bigbase).

> Yes, the upcoming first release of BigBase (later this month) will have support for SSD
cache in row (KV) cache and block cache. You will be able to use efficiently both :
> all server's RAM and available SSD disks (especially useful for those who run HBase on
AWS EC2: all new instances come, by default, with local SSD disks.)

> Best regards,
> Vladimir Rodionov
>
> http://www.bigbase.org

length and hence once a block is loaded it needs to be searched linearly in order to find
the KV (or determine its absence).
> It's on my list of things to investigate noting the start offsets of all KVs somewhere
and hence allow a binary search the KVs.