hbase-user mailing list archives

From Wilm Schumacher <wilm.schumac...@cawoom.com>
Subject Re: HBase entity relationship
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2014 20:46:11 GMT
Hi,

perhaps I'm wrong, but this sounds a little bit "sql-ish" to me,
relations by ids etc..

Is there a hierarchy in the data? Is A some sort of "container" for B?
Or are the connections arbitrary?

Could your make an example where this relation of classes A and B fit or
make a more verbose explanation of your problem?

I ask because there would be no harm in putting all data from B in an A
row. hbase is build for trillions of rows and millions of columns, so
you could fit all Bs related to an A into the specific A.

E.g. if you have resources A (e.g. cars), and a number of users B which
do stuff on A (e.g. renting), you could make up an A by two column
families ("data", "renting"), where data contains the resource specific
data (e.g. speed etc.), and "renting" would contain thousands of renting
informations, e.g. "renting:<timestamp>" => "<username>", so there would
be no need of using a second (or third) table for the renting informations.

An complete explanation of the problem could be very complicate (and
perhaps you do not want to share the specific problem), so perhaps you
find a similar problem which fits your problem space. This would make an
answer much easier ;).

Best

Wilm