hbase-user mailing list archives

From Abe Weinograd <...@flonet.com>
Subject Re: manual merge
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 19:18:11 GMT
HI Michael/Nick,

We have a table with a sequential column (i know, very bad :) ) and we are
constantly inserting to the end.  We pre-split where we are inserting into
20 regions.  When we started with 1, the balancer would pick up on that and
would balance the load as we started to insert.  Each load, we add 20 new
regions. The more regions, the less the balancer distributes this specific
new set of regions.  We were merging to keep the table happy in addition to
lowering the total # of regions so that the 20 new ones in each load would
cause skew that the balancer would pick up on.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Abe