hbase-user mailing list archives

From Dave Latham <lat...@davelink.net>
Subject Re: Issues with import from 0.92 into 0.98
Date Wed, 27 May 2015 18:31:19 GMT
On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:17 AM,  <apache@borkbork.net> wrote:
> Thanks! I want to make sure I've got it right:
>
> When I import the 0.92 data into 0.98, the columns are defined properly
> in the 0.98 table, but I cannot perform a scan with a column filter in
> the shell as the shell interprets the second ':' in the column filter as
> a formatter. From the bug you opened (HBASE-13788) this formatter
> behavior is *only* present in the shell,  programmatic queries do not
> have this filtering issue.

That's my best guess after poking at the shell code and reproducing your issue.

> Do you know if there are any temporary workarounds in the meantime or
> alternatives to the shell for HBASE-13788? Hue or Phoenix perhaps? I
> know the shell is heavily used by the engineering team to spot check
> stuff and to lose that capability is going to really throw them for a
> loop.

Good question and others familiar with those tools may be able to give
you a better answer - I haven't used them.

If you're happy without the FORMATTER support in your shell you could
remove the line from the shell that is doing that parsing.  If you
look at lib/ruby/hbase/table.rb, find def parse_column_name, and
remove the line "set_converter(split) if split.length > 1" that should
do it.  Here's the line in master as an example:
https://github.com/apache/hbase/blob/master/hbase-shell/src/main/ruby/hbase/table.rb#L633