hbase-user mailing list archives

From Esteban Gutierrez <este...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: HBase on HDFS: proper way to setup
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2015 15:45:55 GMT
Hello E,

You got it right :) HBase will work much more efficiently if RegionServers
are co-located with the DataNodes, e.g. 1:1 ratio and thats what in most
deployments HBase ops do. However, I've seen deployments where ops choose
to deploy less RegionServers than DataNodes or vice versa, but there are
more caveats of having less RSs than DNs specially due re-balancing of HDFS
blocks or when a RS goes down, etc. and that deployment mode usually causes
more problems. Deploying multiple RSs on top of a single DN node is
possible but it depends on your workload and if the effort to get it
"right" is worth.

cheers,
esteban.

--